From Wayne's Dusty Box of Words
I found this recipe while researching an old family recipe (Minesta). This is a very similar dish. I have not (yet) tried it.
- ½ cup olive oil
- 3 lbs cubed lamb stew meat
- 1 (28 oz) can pureed tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- ½ teaspoon white sugar
- 1 pinch salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup butter
- 1 lb uncooked orzo pasta
- 3 cups hot water
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat; cook meat until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. Add pureed tomatoes, garlic, sugar, salt, and pepper. Cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Melt butter in a medium skillet over medium heat and add the orzo. Saute until slightly brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer orzo to a baking pan, spreading it out evenly. Remove meat from the saucepan and place it on top of the orzo. Pour tomato sauce evenly over meat. Add hot water. Cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake in the preheated oven until all water is absorbed and orzo is soft about 1 hour. If the dish becomes too dry, add more water during baking.